RECONNECTION OF PEOPLE, PLACE AND NATURE IN THE REGENERATION OF AN INDUSTRIAL WASTELAND
Inspired by the City’s commitment to create a sustainable, freshwater haven for migratory birds, a sanctuary for wildlife and an educational destination, Scape developed concepts for a new Iconic Eco Park in the heart of old industrial Baku.
This linear park has over 1.3km of frontage adjacent to the national Caspian Seaside Park and connects the city’s new high rise business district with the new White City neighbourhood. The area plays a crucial role in the waterfront regeneration, adding to an important network of open spaces and creating a natural buffer between the waters of Baku Bay and the surrounding urban development.
The new Eco Park encompasses seven zones including Forest, Wetland, Cultural, Sculpture, Wellness, Adventure and Energy. The aim is to encourage biodiversity through the creation of natural habitats and to engage and educate visitors on the environment and its connection to the growth and natural heritage of Azerbaijan.
Creation of a new landscape benchmark for Baku by establishing a series of interconnected, richly diverse and welcoming green spaces that promote a sense of community and increase health and wellbeing by providing opportunities for leisure and recreation.
- Establishment of a network of diverse landscapes including wetlands, meadows, amenity parkland, forest and lakes to enhance local biodiversity. The lake network is to act as a natural filtration system for water from the catchment area.
- A focus on education by promoting landscape and ecological diversity and encourage the local community to become part of the growth, evolution and conservation of the park with the creation of a visitor and educational centre.
- Promotion of healthy lifestyles by creating a walkable, friendly neighbourhood park with workout zone and jogging network.
- Creation of a wild play garden for Children to immerse themselves in nature.
- Creation of lakes for water activity and fun, and at the heart of this is an earth mounded café to act as the focal meeting point.
- A balance of cut and fill to create an undulating landscape and provide vantage points across the site, including an amphitheatre for relaxation, education and performance art.
- Creation of an iconic sculptural bridge to draw people into the park and to enhance city links to the seafront.